Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

CGR issues

ccat25

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone can help. We have a large product with lots of parts in it and for some reason the CGR's are still displaying the old models for some parts. We have tried to delete the cache directory and re-cache but the problem doesn't go away. Is there anything else we should be deleting to get rid of this issue or checking?

We also have a few products that are referencing them selves. i.e part number 012356.CATProduct has 012356.CATProduct under its own tree with a yellow warning icon next to node in the tree. I have checked its links and the properties and it is indeed referencing its self. When change the structure of the product this self referencing disappears. Very odd, any thoughts?

We are running Catia V5 R18 service pack 8 build number 18 on XP 64 bit.

Are you running CATIA with the WORK WITH CACHE setting turned on? (by activating this option, CATIA should be checking the timestamps of the CATPart file and it's equivalent CGR. If they don't match, CATIA should automatically create a new CGR file)

Also, make sure any modified components are in Design Mode whenever they are saved.

I would recommend running the V5CATDUA utility to clean your assemblies.

Are you saving CATIA files in a PLM database?

Hi,

We have Work with cache checked in Infrastructure letting us view the cache when opening the products in Visualization Mode. We only have check timestamps ticked but not GMT timestamps, what is the difference?

Under the next tab (CGR management) we only have "save levels of detail in cache". Should we be using either Save lineic elements in CGR or optimize CGR for large assembly visualization? Will either of those two options help?

I understand that we use design mode to modify data but it is the visualization mode that uses the CGR's that is causing the problem. Could this be to do with the self referencing assemblies corrupting the CGR's?

I will give the assemblies a V5CATDUA clean to see if this makes any difference, it just needs to be treated with care as there are quite of users working with the products.

We use Windchill on this project as our PLM system.

you responded:

We have Work with cache checked in Infrastructure letting us view the cache when opening the products in Visualization Mode. We only have check timestamps ticked but not GMT timestamps, what is the difference? I'm not sure of difference, but don't think it's causing your problem

Under the next tab (CGR management) we only have "save levels of detail in cache". Should we be using either Save lineic elements in CGR or optimize CGR for large assembly visualization? Will either of those two options help? I don't think this is causing your problem either. Where I work, we have all 3 of the General options turned on, as well as Save Density in CGR.
I understand that we use design mode to modify data but it is the visualization mode that uses the CGR's that is causing the problem. Could this be to do with the self referencing assemblies corrupting the CGR's? This problem has me stumped. I don't think it's due to the CGRs. Any chance of a user accidentally dragging the top assembly and pasting it into itself? I've seen many new users do this with solid features. Can you just delete the self-reference component? Any clues in EDIT+LINKS?

I will give the assemblies a V5CATDUA clean to see if this makes any difference, it just needs to be treated with care as there are quite of users working with the products. CATDUA is always a good thing to do

We use Windchill on this project as our PLM system Interesting. Which release of Windchill and which release of WGM? With release 8, you definitely want to make sure you have CATParts set to Design Mode before you save and check-in. Do you have Windchill set to manage the CGR files?

We are using windchill 9.1 but loading everything before checking in is interesting. I am not sure if this was done when it was last checked in. Is this a known problem?

Does the Design Mode forces the CGR's to update? Windchill does manage the CGR's but we also have a local cache as well. Do you think there might be a conflict between these different areas for the caches?

We use Windchill 9.1 also (M030).

The Visualization mode problem occurred with WC 8.0, and has been fixed in 9.1.

We also have WC manage our CGR data, but our users haven't experienced problems like you described.

(my understanding is WGM creates new CGR data everytime a document is checked-in. CATIA creates new CGR data only if it is required when a file is opened)

Back to your problem with having old CGR models in your assemblies. It might be due to the Search Order your users have set. Our users have it set to Folder of the Pointed Document, so that CATIA opens all the assembly components from the WLD which was downloaded from Windchill. Another possibility is the components might have links to folders outside of Windchill.

Do your CATIA models contain Import and Context links? This could effect what opens in CATIA.

I have just been through the links and everything is in the Windchill workspace. There are no missing or externally referenced models from imported data. All the data we use is created by ourselves. This project has used a variety of Catia licenses (HD2, DP2 & DMN)

The self referencing products when opened in a separate window are correct. But returning to the top level assy they are still wrong even though they have been open with a RMB/open in new window. I have gone through and checked the links to see if they are referencing different products but they are the same. The only difference I can see is the top level product uses Components and then has the sub assy under the Components. Could it be the Components that are causing issues?

It just seems to be only our top level assy models effected, does catia have a limit of the amount parts or components in one assy? We are using 64 bit XP

Bar rebuilding the assemblies is there anything else that could be done? The CAT clean threw up a few errors but nothing that stood out.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back