Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

compressing huge rhino models - PLEASE HELP

MDF

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community, and I hope my presence here will be a fruitful and beneficial to myself and to all of you.

As a new student of architecture, 3d rendering is also new to me, but I've become a real keener for rhino and I'm learning fast.

There is one urgency for which I need help from one of you experts though....

I need to know how to reduce the size of a model that I just finished for my boss at the architecture office I work at. At the moment, the model is 460 MB and it's impossible to render. Neither my computer, nor the powerful MAC G5's at work can handle it.

There must be some flattening, or normalizing procedures that I can do to reduce the sheer amount of information all these countless vectors constitute. I'm NOT looking to compress the model by changing it into some other kind of file like a pdf or some kind of zip or rar. I still need to render it in rhino.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP. My job, or at least my reputation at the office may well depend on this.

Thanks,

-D

only the fastest radiocity render engine that may be able to overcome your memory problem

www.asgvis.com - V-Ray for Rhino 4.0

what are you currently using? have you asked at the NG's? Items in rhino

maybe use a PC with a core-duo and 2 gigs of ram and also turn down the mesh inside your NURBS to a lower setting and work with less complex objects (document properties>mesh >jagged and faster)

sounds like you also need a better graphics card to handle the display in workspace of all those vectors. delete group and hide the ones you don't need after you use them

Last edited:
Rendering performance

Here are some articles that discuss some potential solutions to rendering speed problems.

Even though the following article discusses Flamingo Performance Tuning, the techniques can be helpful for any renderer you use.

Flamingo Performance Tips

The following article discusses troubleshooting. Often there is some bad geometry that's causing problems while rendering.
Bad Objects

Mesh settings seem to be the single most important thing you can change to help with rendering speeds.
Mesh FAQ

It appears that VRay is becoming very popular for rendering large architectural models. For more information on the VRay plug-in visit:
V-Ray for Rhino - Rhinoceros - Related Products and Services
www.asgvis.com - Home

Another thing that can be a problem is the amount of detail and features in the model that have to be meshed. If there are some things that won't be seen in the rendering, turn them off. This includes small details that will be so small that they won't be seen anyway. If these details are visible in the model they have to be meshed. This is what takes a lot of resource.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back