Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Confused with mass and weight

roldy

A structural engineer asked me to find the weight of a structural steel frame. I prefer to do calculations with SI units and then convert to necessary units afterwards. I applied a steel material to the assembly and got 393.67 kg for the mass and 0.29 m^3 for the volume. I calculated the density based off of these numbers and I get 1357.5 kg/m^3. The density of steel ranges between 7750 and 8050 kg/m^3. What did I do wrong? I dragged over the cast carbon steel material onto the assembly. I'm needing to get the mass so that I can find the weight of the assembly.

A structural engineer asked me to find the weight of a structural steel frame. I prefer to do calculations with SI units and then convert to necessary units afterwards. I applied a steel material to the assembly and got 393.67 kg for the mass and 0.29 m^3 for the volume. I calculated the density based off of these numbers and I get 1357.5 kg/m^3. The density of steel ranges between 7750 and 8050 kg/m^3. What did I do wrong? I dragged over the cast carbon steel material onto the assembly. I'm needing to get the mass so that I can find the weight of the assembly.

If you click edit material, what density does it show? Perhaps all parts in the assembly are not the same material?

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back