Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Creating a fillet using Hold Curve and Spine

rbarata

Hello, my friends

I can't understand the porpose of the spine in this feature. I know that the hold curve is the element that limits and "imposes" its shape to the fillet. Now, the spine... I've done several experiences with different spines and, as an example, why can't the spine in the picture (skectch 5 selected) be used?

Thank you

Attachments

• Hold Curve and Spine.jpg
    Hold Curve and Spine.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 9
What are the inputs used to create this Fillet?

Please edit the fillet, and send us a screen shot showing which options and inputs are used.

Now I've done the part with a single l-shaped sketch while previously I've used two pads. Now it's working fine so I think the problem was in the way how the part was constructed (although I can not understand why the errors).

Also, now that everything is ok, even if I change the angle between the spine and the fillet axis, I cannot see any changes in the fillet. So I still can't understand the purpose of the spine.

Attachments

• Hold Curve and Spine_1.jpg
    Hold Curve and Spine_1.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 5
Maybe the two pads did not touch in the previous model?

When computing a fillet, CATIA calculates a infinite number of sections, with each section containing a circular arc. The fillet is then swept through all the arcs. The spine curve defines all the sections.

Normally for a part such as the L-shape, the spine would be a straight line in the X-direction. By using a different line or curve, a different set of sections are used and a slightly different fillet is created.

Look closely at the ends of the fillet in the preview panel: it shows one of the edges extending past the part. This indicates the first and last section are not parallel to the ends of the L-shape solid.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back