Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Default parabolic result

The online Help explains the Conic command fairly well.

If the Default Parabolic Result is on (orange), the conic curve will be a parabola (not a hyperbola or ellipse)

The type of conic arc depends on the value of the parameter or other constraints that we have used to define it. According to the online help:

Parameter: ratio ranging from 0 to 1 (excluded), this value is used to define a passing point (M in the figure below) and corresponds to the OM distance/OT distance.
If parameter = 0.5, the resulting curve is a parabola
If 0 < parameter < 0.5, the resulting curve is an arc of ellipse,
If 1 > parameter > 0.5, the resulting curve is a hyperbola.

Do you think that we can get a parabolic arc by setting the parameter value > 0.5 and highlighting the default parabolic result option? I don't think so.

Afrouz, I agree with you, and I think you've discovered a software bug. I guess the parameter value is used to define the conic curve, and the "parabola default" option is ignored.

When I'm using conic curves for design, I don't care what kind of curve I'm using, provided the curve does what it's supposed to do.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back