Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Drawing or creating some guides

Mans

I can't use loft between two profiles that are not similar to each other (for instance, a circle and a rectangular in two different parallel planes). When I loft them, an error message is appeared and a 3D body with an abnormal shapes appears. Catia recommend me that I have to use guide. I don't know how to draw those guides so I use some points on the circle and connect them to the corner of the rectangular as the guides but catia doesn't confirm them. please tell me how I can create guide for lofting.

Try this:

1. switch to GSD workbench
2. project a corner point on the rectangle to the circle
3. draw a line from the corner point to the projected point, or draw a spline between the two points with tangent directions on the ends
4. repeat steps 2 & 3 for each corner of the rectangle
5. create your loft (I'm not sure which command you're using), but add the 4 lines as guides to control how the loft will flow between the sections

Instead of Guide Curves, I often find it's easier to use Control Points to define the flow between sections. I like to Project the corner points onto the circle, and then select each set of from/to points.

How do I project a point on the rectangular corner? When I do this in GDS, this error message appears:

;

first of all, exit the sketch.

Then go the the GSD workbench. (You could also use the Wireframe workbench)

Then use the Project icon, and project the vertex (cornerpoint) onto the circle.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back