Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Full documentation for products.

Hi

I've just started as a trainee, and need to learn Catia, and therefore I would like some material for some exercises. I've had some basic training and I've used Solidworks a little before, so I'm not starting from scratch.

What I was wondering, is if there's some kind of database which have full documentation for different products (doesn't have to be real products). I would like to get 2D drawings (with measurements) for all the parts, so that I'm able to make the 3Ds and assemblies.

Is there any thing like that around?

Thanks in advance
Ole

The best way to learn CATIA is to take a class at school (or from a CATIA reseller) with a certified instructor.

The hard way is to teach yourself with tutorials. You will find many tutorials in the CATIA RESORCE LINKS section of this Forum.

If you have it installed, the CATIA Companion provides a lot of good training material and sample files online, but it's not as good as having an instructor to lead you and answer questions.

Good luck with your training!

Last edited:
The best way to learn CATIA is to take a class at school (or from a CATIA reseller) with a certified instructor.

The hard way is to teach yourself with tutorials. You will find many tutorials in the CATIA RESORCE LINKS section of this Forum.

If you have it installed, the CATIA Companion provides a lot of good training material and sample files online, but it's not as good as having an instructor to lead you and answer questions.

Good luck with your training!

I've had some training at work, and done part of the Companion course (with and instructor present).

I would like something a little more complex and that give me more of a goal to reach. Having to make all the parts and an assembly for a full product seems like a good way to get this.
This will also make me have to think about how to make the resulting 3D from the 2D, and not have it all spelled out in a step by step tutorial.

I've made my own imaginary products, but it's not the same having to come up with all the parts (it's challenging in another way though). It would be nice to have all the parts in 2D and just have to make the 3D and assemblies (and maybe do my own drafting from those).

Hope there's something like that around.

If you've already taken some classes, you need experience now.

Use a project from work. Find something that was done, and model your own version of it. Great experience, plus you have your co-workers to help you by explaining what they did!

Or, find something you have laying around at home. Cell phone, TV controller, Playstation control unit, anything. And try to model it. Take it apart and measure the components.

If you've already taken some classes, you need experience now.

Use a project from work. Find something that was done, and model your own version of it. Great experience, plus you have your co-workers to help you by explaining what they did!

Or, find something you have laying around at home. Cell phone, TV controller, Playstation control unit, anything. And try to model it. Take it apart and measure the components.

Maybe I have to find something to take apart, but I don't think it's quite the same. I will still have to do a lot of work and make my own assumptions when doing those measurements (not the thing I want to practice in...).

I've done this surface model of a speaker (in Solidworks though), but it's not that same as working from what someone else has made. And I can take some shortcuts, and everything doesn't end up exactly as the real object.

Guess it might be the only way to get what I want though...

Thanks for helping. If anybody got something, I'm still appreciative of help.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back