Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How to allow the manipulation tool to drag a part around the axis but only to a certain degree?

Hi,

Im doing a project for my university and they told us to make anything so I made a folding pocket knife. I made constraints to the handle so only the blade can move to open and close. The only problem is that it moves 360 degrees around the axis while using manipulation tool. I already made an animation in which it opens and closes at about 170 degrees which is enough for the blade to fully expose/conceal. I would like to also constrain it for the manipulation tool so that the instance in the photo below cannot happen.

Thank you for any replies.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-13 155302.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-13 155302.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image_2021-05-25_161756.png
    image_2021-05-25_161756.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
You could use the Kinematics workbench to animate the blade motion. This will allow you to specifiy the lower and upper limits of the blade rotation.

Attachments

• revolute joint.JPG
    revolute joint.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 2
I did that for the actual animation and it works in kinematics workbench, but when I go back to the assembly it still turns 360 degrees. Any way to costraint it in assembly design?

You could add a pin to the blade and have it move within a circular slot in the handle (180°). Add a coincidence constraint between the center point of the pin and the centerline (half circle) of the slot. This will limit the rotation with the Manipulation tool if you choose the option With Respect To Constraints.

I would set up assembly constraints. When you modify the angle constraint you can set limits.
If you set your automatic update in the assembly design options, the component will rotate as you change the constraint.
Constraint Limits and step amounts can be set with RMB on the value input box.

210527 Image014.jpg

210527 Image015.jpg

210527 Image016.jpg

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back