Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How to close a wingtip

scoutfai

COnsider a commercial airplane with no wing tip device. For some aircraft, especially kit plane, the end of the wing is just like a flat surface, imagine you chop the wing with a knife vertically, this kind of wing has little problem to model in CATIA. But for some airplane, especially jet airplane, the wing tip usually end with a quite smooth & round cover, for instance : http://www.weekendcfii.com/photos/citabria/03X_wing_tip.jpg ,
http://www.skymaxaircraft.com/images/n10…ft-wing-tip.jpg (ignore the landing light)
& etc.
How to model this nice curvy wing tip? I have been using swept, multi-section surface, but all end up failure.

As with most surface modeling tasks, the wingtip shape will probably require more than one surface, and each of these surfaces might require a different tools.

How much of the wingtip shape is known (dimensioned)? Or, are you trying to model your own wingtip based on the photograph?

I would guess that the Multi-Section or Sweep tools would provide the major portion (the middle surface) of the wing tip.

Using the edges of the adjacent surfaces, the front of the wingtip will probably be a two-sided surface that is somewhat spherical - a Multi-Section surface or a Fill surface might work.

Likewise, the back of the wingtip might require a Fill surface or a Multi-Section surface or some other tool to define it.

Dear Mr. CATIA,

I just found that it can be done conveniently by blend with the upper surface airfoil and the lower surface airfoil.

One tip is that one has to split the upper and the lower surface. And I see CATIA cannot split the "closed" spline. The trailing edge region on each upper and lower curve must be drawn separated from the leading edge region.

In short, there are 2 splines drawn at the trailing edge, one at each surface. One more spline is drawn at the leading edge region from the upper surface passing the leading edge point to the lower surface. Then this spline is split by two at the leading edge point. From these 4 splines now, use "blend" function. It is finer than "Fill" option, which sometimes does not form a surface nicely connecting to the surrounding. (Or I do not know how to do).

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back