Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How to create a wing's leading edge junction fillet

giangnguyen

Hi everyone,

I am drawing a fillet for the wheel fairing's junction with the main body of the car. Actually is it not the circular fillet like what is usually seen. It is a curve slightly moving forward of the wing's body junction.

I attach here its example picture in reality, and its description; I would like to ask if you can show me how to draw something like this.

https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1464584/world-solar-challenge-2015.jpg?w=1180

Its name is the wheel's junction, but it does not look like the "junction" tutorials in CATIA. And I do not know how is it called here in CATIA. I have tried to google it, but I do not see something similar.

Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• Photo 12-11-16, 05 19 38.jpg
    Photo 12-11-16, 05 19 38.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo 12-11-16, 05 19 47.jpg
    Photo 12-11-16, 05 19 47.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 4
The attached pictures seem to describe a conical fillet between the canopy and the body. Again, since the design is symmetrical, we only have to model one side and then mirror the final result to get the other side.

(make sure you have the GSD2 license for the conical swept surface)

So, let's start with the canopy surface (blue) and the body surface (tan) split in half. The canopy should extend through and below the body.
FILLET1.JPG

Add an Intersection curve between the canopy and the body surfaces (result: black dotted curve below). Then add a Parallel curve from the Intersection along the canopy a distance of "C/4" (result: blue curve). Add another Parallel curve along the body a distance of "C/2" (result: brown curve). These will be the guide curves for the conical sweep.
FILLET2.JPG

Create the Sweep surface, using the Conical option on the top of the panel. Use the parallel curves as Guides and their surfaces for Support. Also, use the intersection curve for the Spline. Use the default conical parameter of .5 (result: green surface)
fillet3.JPG

Try different parameter values to vary the shape of the conical fillet. (parameter = .5 is a parabola, < .5 is an ellipse, > .5 is a hyperbola)

Split the canopy surface with the parallel curve and Split the body surface with it's parallel curve. Join all the surfaces together and Mirror.
fillet4.JPG

Last edited:
A Shape Fillet with a Conical Parameter is actually a much easier method, but the radius must be the same distance on both sides.
filletshape.JPG

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back