Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Importing Blender into Catia

Monstrobolaxa

There are quite a lot of graphics designers using Blender and they do some very realistic and accurate models.

I'm interested in reverse engineering the surface geometry from a Blender file.

Does anyone know a way of importing Blender files into Catia?

I will let some people suggest a few ideas and I'll post later (tomorrow) the process I've found!

I apologize for the delay in replying.

So the only way to export a Blender file into Catia appears to be by exporting it as a .stl file and then reverse engineering the surfaces.

Now when opening the file it comes up as a mesh file, which is painful to reverse engineer.
What I've done in the past was use one of the two following options (using the Digitized workbench):

- extract cross-sections in the 3 axis and then close all the surfaces and clean up the ones that need cleaning up.
- use the 3D line tool to draw the main lines and then close the surfaces.

Now that was all fine with a relatively simple geometry (10k nodes)....but now I'm working on a very complex geometry which has over 500k nodes.

Any ideas how to reverse engineer the surfaces from the .stl file?
How is it done on a point cloud file?

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back