Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Impossible to create an external reference: selection in partA is forbidden since partb was designed in context <..>

The "design in context" warning message means you are not working with the CATProduct assembly that was used when other references were created. You should open that assembly, which will put you in the correct contextual mode.

Are you working within an assembly?

The "design in context" warning message means you are not working with the CATProduct assembly that was used when other references were created. You should open that assembly, which will put you in the correct contextual mode.

Well Part B and Part A belong to different CATProduct , then it is not able to creat ref between them?

I also found the refs between other parts are useless and parts turned to be brown from green, what is wrong?

Well Part B and Part A belong to different CATProduct , then it is not able to creat ref between them?
With the Parts being out of context (brown icon), you cannot create external references automatically. But you can create them manually by Copy & Paste Special with Link

I also found the refs between other parts are useless and parts turned to be brown from green, what is wrong?
Nothing is wrong - the parts have brown icons to indicate they are not opened in their contextual assembly.

You can instance these parts in other assemblies with no problems. You just cannot edit them.

You can use the Edit + Links tool to find the Contextual assembly and open it, then the parts with have green icons and you'll be able to edit them as you want.

Or, you can Copy & Paste Special the elements from one part to another

Nothing is wrong - the parts have brown icons to indicate they are not opened in their contextual assembly.

You can instance these parts in other assemblies with no problems. You just cannot edit them.

You can use the Edit + Links tool to find the Contextual assembly and open it, then the parts with have green icons and you'll be able to edit them as you want.

Thanks a lot , i got that . External references can only be built at the corresponding context!

MrCATIA,
How to avoid the cycle while creating the external references, and by the way ,how many years have you been with CATIA, seems like you know everything about it.

To avoid circular loops of references, I like to put all of my "master geometry" into a special model that controls all the other parts. I also like to publish these master geometries. Then I make all the references with links back to that one Master Part.

(I've been using CATIA for a long time. I saw a V6 demo one time, but haven't had the opportunity to use V6 or 3DExperience yet)

To avoid circular loops of references, I like to put all of my "master geometry" into a special model that controls all the other parts. I also like to publish these master geometries. Then I make all the references with links back to that one Master Part.

(I've been using CATIA for a long time. I saw a V6 demo one time, but haven't had the opportunity to use V6 or 3DExperience yet)
Do I need to practice this, if I'm making a product template using the document template creation in knowledgeware?

Well, i have never ever seen the V6 version, it seems that the time gap between us is around 12 hours , so you are probably at east of USA

MrCATIA, is there any chance you can elaborate more on doing the master geometry into a special model? is special model means a product in design tree that have the 'geometrical set' where different parts are built referencing to that 'geometrical set' only?

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back