Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Making a pipe T

lelandl

First, the usual caveat, I am very new to Solidworks and CAD. (this is my second part, the first was an elbow)

I am making an ABS pipe "T" as a learning experience. I have completed it but was wondering if there is a quicker/easier way to accomplish it.

The type of "T" I am duplicating has the "T" blended, rather than a straight "T".

The basics of what I did are:

Created 3 revolves for the nipples.
Made a sketch for the 90 degree curve between one end and the "bottom" of the T and used a lofted extrude.
Created a lofted extrude between 2 circles for the straight pipe between the end nipples.
Created a second circle sketch slightly smaller than the pipe and created an extrude cut to open the pipe. (would a lofted cut have been better?)
Created a second sketch slightly smaller than the 90 degree and created a lofted cut to open that pipe.
I then adjusted the cuts to smooth out the openings.

The result is a "T" that looks very much like an actual ABS "T". I did try making the straight pipe first and cutting into it then adding the 90 degree to that opening but it just didn't look right.

Any pointers or thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• abs t.jpg
    abs t.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2
  • abs t2.jpg
    abs t2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 3

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back