Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Not able to sketch on imported step file

quest

Hi,
I imported one .step file to Solidworks (drag and dropped the file) the 3D interconnect option was checked. So in the design tree, the imported file was appearing with a green arrow. I had to do certain modification to the part so I went for the option "Dissolve features" then the file was showing as "imported "in the design tree. since the "Recognize feature" was making some changes to the part i opted to directly edit it without using feature recognization. But even after selecting any plane surface, the sketch option was not available or after choosing the sketch option i was not able to select any plane surface of the body to start a sketch.(please see the attached picture).
I solved it by importing the .step into fusion 360 and exported it as .step again, then imported it into Solidworks, then i was able to sketch on the part!
Please help me, how to edit it directly in Solidworks?

1620562483496.png

Without seeing the part I'm just guessing, but usually, you cant start a sketch on a face because it thinks it's nonplanar. This can occur with imported things due to the translation and differences in tolerances etc. I don't know if importing without interconnect makes a difference considering you are dissolving but it's worth a go. If you attached the step file I would be happy to give it a look

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back