Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Problem when importing STEP file into CATIA - Assembly combined into one PART & PARTBODY

Nur Ain

Hi pals, I am having an issue with importing STEP file consisting of an assembly into CATIA. It will always show the whole as one single PART, and every actual 'parts' of the assembly as PARTBODY. This makes it difficult to move things around/snapping.

Is there something I can do differently:
A) When saving STEP file from other software (but this would be sometimes beyond my control as some files were from clients)
B) When opening/importing STEP file from CATIA (perhaps there's a setting to control how I import files?)
C) Accept this fact & maybe there's a quick way to convert the hundreds of PARTBODY to PART? Any tips?

It's been really time consuming to work with STEP files when this happens, I really appreciate if you have any guidance!😭😭😭

Catia_STP-import-issue.png

If the client is unwilling to send a assembly file, then you have to work with the multi-part file. You should be able to re-position bodies with constraints (within the Part Design workbench). You can also make drawings based on one or more of the bodies. I would try to use the part file as is from your client.

CATIA does not have a tool to convert a multi-body CATPart into a muti-instance CATProduct. But you could write a program (macro?) to convert it, or maybe hire someone to write it for you.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back