Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Publishing models online with custom property data

FrugalTPH

I'm trying to find a good online model viewer and a workflow in Solidworks to be able to publish my models online, inclusive of part (& configuration) level custom property data. Preferably this would be in a common neutral format (e.g. IFC), but I'm also open to other formats or even native, so long as they can be viewed / interacted with online by a non-paid user.

In terms of online viewers, the best one I've found so far has been Autodesk's at http://viewer.autodesk.com. I'm preferably looking for free or opensource viewers, but would be willing to use a paid one if it ticks all the boxes and is reasonably priced.

Whilst I'm able to publish geometry fairly easily, I've found that custom property data isn't being transferred fully or reliably. I use custom property data as the source for my BOMs, which I'd like my clients to be able to interrogate in an online viewer by clicking on relevant parts in my models. When native SW models are uploaded, if its an assembly then the part-level custom data seems to come through. But if I upload a single part, then no custom data comes through. Similarly when trying to use IFC files for this, the level of data coming through is partial.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good online model viewers and/or potential workflows to publish models produced in Solidworks online, inclusive of custom property data?

Thanks in advance.

TPH

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back