Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Question about Advanced Mates

Dudeman

I have a model of a battery box, and the battery packs are mated so they can slide in and out of the box. I'm using an advanced mate for min/max distance, which allows me to bottom out the battery inside the box, and take it out a certain amount.

I also have a hinged lid on the box, and I want to create a mate that will prevent the battery from coming out if the lid is closed. Right now, if I close the lid, and move the box, the batteries come out through the lid. I used collision detection, but that only works temporarily when the dialog box is open. I can't set it to be permanent.

Any suggestions?

battery box.jpg

I can't think of a way to get exactly as you want. You may be able to "hack together" an invisible linkage or path mate ut id have to have a play and still don't think you would get what you're after. I would recommend using configurations - e.g. have a door shut configuration where the batteries are in and a door open configuration where the batteries are out / free to move.

Personally, when I have been asked things like this before I generally ask why do you need to see it as you drag? Often (though not always) I have found that people don't actually have a good reason to do it other than it would look cool - you may be the exception. As you pointed out, you can check for problems with collision detection and if you are wanting to show how it works to someone I would recommend saving a real quick animation - that way you can send it/put it in a powerpoint and SW isn't even required.

That said, if you do find a solution that achieves exactly what you want, I would be interested to know

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I already have a configuration where I suppress the battery ability to slide, and it's just locked into position inside. It's not a big deal, I though it would be nice to show the everything moving soothly like the real McCoy during the presentation

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back