Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Rib feature (how to merge / trim ends)

leemans69

I am trying to create rib features that have trimmed ends. In other words I would like the rib to "extend to" or "up to" the surface of another rib. So far I have been unsuccessful. I have tried doing this with both ribs in the same body. I have also tried doing this with each of the ribs in a seperate .CAPart (therefore in seperate .CATParts).

I believe the correct option to make this possible is the "merge ends" check box within the rib feature dialogue window. Take a look at the screen shot image below. If you have any info please by all means let me know what you think.

BTW, I am working with V5R18

Thank You,

PROGRESSION.jpg

I was unaware of the Merge Ribs Ends option. According to the online Help, it sounds like it should handle your Rib design. But I've also been unsuccessful in getting it to work (I use R18 also)

To trim the Rib, I would make a surface at the vertical pipe and then Split the Rib with the surface. This method would create history in the tree that would be more descriptive than using the Merge Ribs Ends option.

Leemans, I think I figured it out

After reading the Help files again very carefully, the profile sketch of the rib must be inside the two ends! When the profile sketch is at the end of the rib center curve (where you would normally place it), the topological error occurs.

In my picture below, you can see the profile sketch (in red) is between the two vertical pieces (green)

rib.jpg

In your picture above, the profile sketch is in the middle, but you are trying to limit the rib to only one vertical piece. It seems like the Merge Rib Ends option requires two end limits!

Last edited:
merge ends of 2 intersecting pipes

hey mr. catia can you tell me how to merge ends of multiple ribs at a single point cause im getting a figure like this:

Leemans, I think I figured it out

After reading the Help files again very carefully, the profile sketch of the rib must be inside the two ends! When the profile sketch is at the end of the rib center curve (where you would normally place it), the topological error occurs.

In my picture below, you can see the profile sketch (in red) is between the two vertical pieces (green)

View attachment 515

In your picture above, the profile sketch is in the middle, but you are trying to limit the rib to only one vertical piece. It seems like the Merge Rib Ends option requires two end limits!

Attachments

• Untit1led.jpg
    Untit1led.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 9
Rishabhjain,

I don't think the Merge Ends option was intended to be used for design situations like yours. (although I think it is a great idea for a software enhancement).

To get all of the intersecting pipes to meet correctly will require some extra work to develope where the pipes intersect and split them to that end condition.

Are you doing this with the Part Design workbench? The Tubing Design product might be more applicable with specific tools to trim the ends.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back