Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Screw Holes Showing Threads

kenjg

Hello All,

I'm very very new to SolidWorks. I have version 2013 Premium 64bit SP3. I'm in the process of going through some training using some videos I downloaded from the net. I draw very basic part currently with ACAD2014, rectangle parts mostly for machine products we manufacture. I was curious about SW so I started looking into it and now I like it. So here's my questions:

For practice only.

I created a part .88" wide by 1" high by 3.5" long.

I added a 3/8 NPT hole on the side of it. It did not show threads, only the hole size, type & depth. In ACAD I added some circle to the existing hole and then trimmed them to look like threads. Is there a way in SW to show threads? OR do I do the same as in ACAD?

Thanks in Advance
KenJG

Possible Solution for Thread issue

If you are looking to use Threads for Rendering you may wish to use the FAUX Thread technique. They look just like real threads in SolidWorks files and renderings but they take up MUCH less memory! Here is an explanation of what Faux thread is and some example files you can download... FAUX (False) Thread SolidWorks Example - SolidWorks, STL, Other - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD ... also here are some more examples of threaded items in SolidWorks ... Clutter of Example Parts - SolidWorks, STEP / IGES, STL, Other - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD Let me know if you need any specific help... best way to get a hold of me is on Twitter @MetalDesigner ... If you haven't signed up for GrabCAD you should do it because it is an amazing place to download completed SolidWorks files and see how people have drawn items using SolidWorks. Great for reverse-engineering how people do things in SolidWorks.

Screw hole Threads

Hello All,

The problem was in the Options > Document Properties > Detailing that "Shaded cosmetic threads" was not checked.

I'll be back with more "Q's" once I move on to my next training videos.

See You All SOON !!!

BR
KenJG

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back