Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Sheet metal tapered bends

Hello all,

Experienced 3D modeler, week 2 of SolidWorks and Im sooooooo frustrated!!!!

Any ideas how to accomplish this rather simple part in Solid works? Lofts? But the number of points is different between the sketches... How do I create that tapered stepping that goes to one point in the middle of this model?
Any approach or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• tapered sheet metal.jpg
    tapered sheet metal.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 5
I assume you are wanting to flatten this?? In which case I don't think you would be able to get that in SolidWorks (at least in sheet metal) it won't like all the bends coming to a single vertex.

If not flattening then lofting would be my initial approach, you can try showing the connectors of the loft (right-click when in the loft feature) and dragging them around. If that isn't working then you could build it up, face by face, but even that may prove problematic. Ultimately I believe that having a lot of faces going to a singular point is not ideal in SolidWorks (which is understandable).

If you do manage it I would be interested in seeing your approach

Thanks for you reply! It's definitely a multi-piece project.. I think Frank's approach is the ticket on a creation method.. It will have to be fabricated using a very manual approach. I've learned a good deal trying to solve this problem...

For what its worth , since you mentioned being so frustrated, I think SoldiWorks sheetmetal is excellent once you get to grips with it. Generally (not always) I have hit limitations when people have asked things of it that maybe abit of a "bodge" in real life.. So stick with it and hopefully it will do everything you want!

Hello all,

Experienced 3D modeler, week 2 of SolidWorks and Im sooooooo frustrated!!!!

Any ideas how to accomplish this rather simple part in Solid works? Lofts? But the number of points is different between the sketches... How do I create that tapered stepping that goes to one point in the middle of this model?
Any approach or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Unless I'm missing something, that can't be made from one piece. Steel doesn't stretch and bend like that. You cad make that in 2 pieces rather easy (top and bottom pieces).

You could create a forming tool, and use that to create the folds.
Or you could modify the edge flange sketch to come close to what you want, but it would never come to a point in the back like you show

Attachments

• bendo.zip
    146.3 KB · Views: 1

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back