Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

simple Beam in COSMOSWorks!?!

Scarpafico

Hi @ all,

I wanted to compare an easy beam calculation with a COSMOSWorks Analysis. The problem is, the stresses from the FEA are twice as high as the theoretical calculation.

I have a beam with a hollow rectangle cross-section ( 600mm wide,250mm high, 5500mm long and 3mm thick). Two boundaries at the end, a normal-force at the middle/center plane (800N) and a UDL (q=0.047N/mm) for the gravety (see beam picture).

For the beam calculation I used basic stuff like bending moment in the middle of the beam, moment of intertia...and get arround 2MPa as a maximum in the middle of the beam (the calculation should be all right).

With COSMOS I get 7MPa (von mises) in the middle of the top surface! (see picture). Does any body know where the problem could be? Is it because I compare normal stress with Von-Mises Stress? I think the difference shouldn't be so huge...

I am looking forward to any help!!! I really tried anything I know...

Cheers,
Christian

Attachments

• beam.JPG
    beam.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 3
  • FEA.JPG
    FEA.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 3

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back