Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

stereolithography, sla, 3D printers

IVAN

Good day everyone.
This is my first post here, I just joined. I am a draftsman for a machine shop that does integration and some production machining.
The shop I work for is trying to add the service of 3d printing for prototypes on new products for our customers. I must say this is new to all of us. This has us wondering if there are “serious” 3D printers out there to consider; meaning by serious if they meet acceptable mechanical design tolerances and finishes. Does any one of you have hands on experience on one of these 3D printers? I mean the range of prices are so wide from a few hundred dollars to the few thousands up to may be tens of thousands of dollars.
The other thing is that the first client that may require our services has as a priority the scanning of parts they do not have model nor drawings or blueprints. -Someone does this for them but they want to cut costs.- So on top of it all we have to consider if the 3D scanning systems some of these machines come with are reliable to the level of mechanical engineering drafting or we have to consider 3rd party scanners..
So I would like to read from you if you have any input on these topics.
Regards.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back