Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Surface length

frooteg

Hello all,

I am pretty new to catia - actualy any 3d modeling software.

I often receive catpart files and would like to know the material consumption for the product.

I know how to get surface area ( inertia tool ), and the lenght of a specific section i get by using multiple "Measure between" rulers and then SUM the numbers. But this is very inaccurate option.

Please see attached image on the sections i need length to. Any ideas how to ?

Naslov.jpg

The second thing i need is the minimal size of the tool needed for the product. So I would like to get dimensions of the smallest cube possible to fit around the product.

if you could help me it would be very helpfull to me.

Best regards,

Miha

Hello all,

I am pretty new to catia - actualy any 3d modeling software.

I often receive catpart files and would like to know the material consumption for the product.

I know how to get surface area ( inertia tool ), and the lenght of a specific section i get by using multiple "Measure between" rulers and then SUM the numbers. But this is very inaccurate option.

Please see attached image on the sections i need length to. Any ideas how to ?

View attachment 1048

Miha,

The Measure Inertia tool will also give you the exact Volume and Mass of your parts.

You may have to customize the Inertia options and turn on the Volume option. You also have to specify the material density, which can be done directly in the Measure Inertia panel.

Last edited:
The second thing i need is the minimal size of the tool needed for the product. So I would like to get dimensions of the smallest cube possible to fit around the product.

The MEASURE INERTIA tool will also give you the size of a box/cube that fits around your part. Again, use CUSTOMIZE and turn on the PRINCIPAL AXES option. You will see a white box displayed around the part. And at the bottom of the tree, there will be the three lengths of this bounding box (BBLx, BBLy, BBLz). This boundary box is computed based on the principal axes directions, so it is not always the smallest size box, but it's close.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back