Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Undoing white on black background drawing

Stew L

I need to fix a Catia V5 drawing that someone else drew and chose to do as white detail on black background.
I want to change it back to black print on a white background.
I am not talking about creating a new drawing, I am talking about fixing something that someone else already drew.
All of the documentation I found about Standards addresses creating NEW drawings using a custom standard, not fixing existing drawings.

This person created a custom standard that makes all the views generate as white lines on a black background.
This custom standard is embedded in the drawing (visible under File>Document Properties>Standards)
So I tried loading a default standard (Ansi) using Page Setup> Standard.
Doing this fixes the background color back to white.
Then I can fix the page background manually.
I can manually select all the dimensions and text and change them to black. And they stay that way.
HOWEVER,..... when I change the actual drawing detail from white to black it is only temporary.
The next time I do a view update, it regenerates as white lines again.
I go into the view Properties > Generative View Style, and tried removing the style - no effect.
I go into Options>Administration>Generative View Style>Prevent Generative View Style, Clicked on, clicked off - no help.

I can create NEW views and they come out correctly, (afting updating standard to ANSI, as I descibed above), but I cant fix existing views.

It seems that I need to completely purge this custom standard that's embedded in the drawing.
THis is an issue with about 6 drawings, and each drawing has 15 sheets with multiple views on each sheet so deleting and creating new views is not desirable if there is an easier way.
If there is some VBA code that can do this, I would try that too.

Thanks.

Try saving the drawing as a .dxf file, and then open the .dxf file. (copying the drawing like this might change the standard, but it will probably create a bunch of new problems)

Try saving the drawing as a .dxf file, and then open the .dxf file. (copying the drawing like this might change the standard, but it will probably create a bunch of new problems)
Well yes that changes the color but converts everything to blocks which have no association with the model. I could accomplish the same thing with dong a screenshot and make it a negative in paintbrush. I am hoping that someone who understands the inner workings of CATIA drawing view generation would be able to offer a method to replace a standard in an existing view and make it update to the new standard. I know that I can change the standard and then any NEW views I generate will be correct color. Seems I may need to create all new views. Thanks.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back