Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

3D section to drawing

Clshaffer

I have been using V4 for about 6 years and I am now switching to V5.

I have afew questions.

1. I have cut sections in 3d with a plane

How can I copy these to a drawing.

2. I have solids, faces and surfaces.

How do I create a wire frame on these (Curve 1, boundary V4)

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the new world of V5! I'm sure you've already noticed V5 is nothing at all like V4.

1. Lots of ways to create 3D sections, but most of them cannot be copied to the drawing. The best thing to do is to make a new section view in the drawing, based on the plane in the 3D model.

2. In V5, the Boundary or Extract commands in the GSD workbench are equivalent to the V4 Curve1 Boundary

Thanks for the your reply.

But I must ask how do I make a new section view in drawing based on plane in the 3d model?

What commands do I use in the drafting mode to bring in the section that i cut with a plane in 3D?

Do know of any good documentation that can help me do this.

I have many tutorials but hey are just basic.

Thanks.

Can you tell me the commands or tell me where I can find documentation on how to copy the section I cut in 3D to the drawing? I hav tried every thing I can find in the icons and have not been successful.

Thanks.

I strongly recomend taking an instructor-led class on CATIA V5, from a certified CATIA dealer (if possible). Otherwise, you will be wasting a lot of time trying to adapt V4 techniques to try to make them work with V5. The two systems are very different. The cost for training is relatively small.

Many colleges and Community Colleges teach CATIA.

Tata offers self-teaching CATIA training online, at a low-cost: TATA Technologies: CATIA

If your company won't pay for it, then try the CATIA online help, or the CATIA Companion.

Last edited:
Can you tell me the commands or tell me where I can find documentation on how to copy the section I cut in 3D to the drawing? I hav tried every thing I can find in the icons and have not been successful.

Thanks.

V5 does not have an equivalent command to the SPC->DRW function in V4. V5 drafting is more like AUXVIEW2.

Here's one method to get a section in 3D and save it as a drawing:

1. Use the Sectioning tool to section your part or assembly
2. In the Results tab, use the EXPORT option to save the section as a CATDrawing file

(this is documented in the online CATIA Help files, although not very detailed)

How did you get your section cut?

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back