Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

A simple question

E

ezypikns

Where I work, we commonly start a project/job by modeling equipment for a submittal design and drawing. The model and drawing typically carry the same name and number. The custom properties assigned to the model will populate the drawing with part number, material, finish, etc.
The problem (for me) begins when we produce a manufacturing drawing (using the same model as the one produced for the submittal). The manufacturing drawing will carry an entirely new number, but the original model's custom properties want to number the new drawing the same as the submittal. How can I use the same model with the same custom properties and produce two different drawings (with different part numbers driven by the model's custom properties)?

I am a SolidWorks newbie and I may be trying to create troubles where there aren't any, but it seems like a legitimate question.

Different drawing numbers for one model

One solution would be to use different drawing templates for Submittal and Manufacturing drawings. The drawing format text fields that read model custom properties could then be used.
1) Edit the custom properties list of the model. Add "mfg_dwg" and "submittal_dwg" properties.
2) For the Submittal drawing format, select the drawing number label, right mouse button, select properties, edit label note text to $PRPSHEET:"submittal_dwg"
3) Save this file as a drawing format file Submittal.drwdot
4) For the Manufacturing drawing format, select the drawing number label, right mouse button, select properties, edit label note text to $PRPSHEET:"mfg_dwg"
5) Save this file as a drawing format file Manufacturing.drwdot
6) Use the appropriate template when creating a drawing
7) You could use your standard format & just edit the text every for every drawing, but using the formats makes it automatic and you could further customize each if desired.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back