Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Add hole pattern to assembly

halzimers

Is there a way to add a hole pattern after assembling components?

I currently have 2 models that represent the same component.
One with holes and one without.

I am wondering if I can assemble the parts without holes and then
add the hole pattern in the product assembly somehow.

Yes. Use Assembly Features to add common features into two or more parts of your assemblly in one step.

To do a pattern of holes, create the Pattern of Pads (not Holes) in one of the parts in a separate Body. Then use the Assembly Features to Remove the Body from whichever parts you select in your assembly.

Last edited:
I see how that works.

How do I get a component drawing without the holes and an
assembly drawing with the holes?

The hole pattern shows up in the component drawing.
I need it to look like it was added later.

To get that will require two individual CATPart files of the component; one without the holes ("A") and one with the holes ("B").

You can then make a drawing of the component "A" without the holes.

When you make the "B" part, use copy & paste special, result with link to copy the partbody from "A" and link it to "B". Then, any changes you make to "A" will automatically show up in "B".

Insert "B" into the assembly (not "A"), remove the holes from the parts as we did before, and make the assembly drawing showing all the parts with the holes.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back