Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

An untrim command warning

AFROUZ.E

untrim.jpg

As you can see, there is a simple limited surface to untrim, but the warning message says: "the underlying geometry is infinite..." .Why?

Like many CATIA messages, this one doesn't seem to make much sense to me either.

I was able to recreate your steps, and I also got the same message. But when I clicked the OK button, a new untrimmed surface was created based on the Bounding Box, as the warning message said. But not the original Fill surface (as I expected). I did get better results with I used a Extrude surface instead of a Fill surface.

I guess that message is just a warning that the new, untrimmed surface will not match the surface you started with.

I didn't see anything in the online Help explaining this.

I have never used the Untrim tool, and I'm curious why it exisists. Since CATIA V5 is history-based, the original surface is still available even after it has been trimmed.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back