Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Can I define a section using an arc?

cadguy09

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out. I have a part which I am detailing and I need to take a section which is defined by an arc, rather than a straight or jogged line. Is this possible in SW '08?

Thanks

have you tried it?

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out. I have a part which I am detailing and I need to take a section which is defined by an arc, rather than a straight or jogged line. Is this possible in SW '08?

Thanks

Cadguy,

Have you tried it (or what have you tried)? It should be possible.

fcsuper,

Thanks, I tried to select an existing arc which had been drawn as a sketch in the part and one which had been drawn in the drawing - neither were selectable. I also tried to find a way to create the arc while in the section command, but couldn't draw anything but the straight line that it wanted.

John

Make a configuration with a curve cut in your model or assembly, then open that confguration in your drawing if you use a surface you can put a delete feature in your configuration cut with surface.
You can convert entities to make a boundary for hatching use anotations area hatch fill to hatch your section.

Thanks John,

If I am understanding you correctly, that leads to a straight line section that looks at an arced cut surface but doesn't result in a true projection of the sectioned surface. Here is a VERY simplified illustration of what I am trying to accomplish. Yeah, I know that this particular part doesn't need to be dimensioned the way I am talking about - it's just an example to show what I'm trying to do. Hope this works...

Attachments

• draw4.jpg
    draw4.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 10
Thanks John,

If I am understanding you correctly, that leads to a straight line section that looks at an arced cut surface but doesn't result in a true projection of the sectioned surface. Here is a VERY simplified illustration of what I am trying to accomplish. Yeah, I know that this particular part doesn't need to be dimensioned the way I am talking about - it's just an example to show what I'm trying to do. Hope this works...

cadguy,

Is tihs allowed and/or supported by sectioning in the ASME standard? The arrows represent the direction of viewing. I'm not sure the rotational viewing required by your request is supported. Nor, that it will be well understood by someone looking at the drawing (even if supported). Most people will except a true orthagonal projection.

Either way, if you wish to do this, you may have to fake it somehow more complex than the previous suggestion. Maybe make a sheet metal part that has an equal radius to your section as a bend, then unbend it in place of the section.

cadguy,

Is tihs allowed and/or supported by sectioning in the ASME standard? The arrows represent the direction of viewing. I'm not sure the rotational viewing required by your request is supported. Nor, that it will be well understood by someone looking at the drawing (even if supported). Most people will except a true orthagonal projection.

Either way, if you wish to do this, you may have to fake it somehow more complex than the previous suggestion. Maybe make a sheet metal part that has an equal radius to your section as a bend, then unbend it in place of the section.

Thanks fcsuper,

I believe that it would be supported by the standard as long as I am only using the resulting section to dimension features which are orthogonal to the section line and I don't attempt to dimension between them. The actual geometry I am working with is swept along two axis - I might have over-simplified things in my example. I do, however, think that you are correct with your solution. I ended up faking the section in the final drawing. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

-cadguy09

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back