Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Casting Cylindr Head With Water Jacket

jordanbull

I have a model of a cylinder head and need to start getting it cast, how do i shell the head to leave a nominal thickness around the ports and head bolts and then turn that shell in to a solid so it can be machined in to the female water jacket halves for the sand to be pored in to give a male water jacket?????.

Also can you cut imported surfaces out of solids.???

cylinder head casting/machining

wow. have you had training?
Shelling is rather simple, select the faces that are to be removed.
The part stays a solid part, from there you create an assembly, place the part in the assembly, Create a large block/mold part, place it into the assembly, Modify the block/mold part such that it surrounds the cylinder head, using mold tools, create cavity, with proper shrinkage, then split the part.
You should come up with 4 parts, depending on where you split it.
These are your machined mold parts.

Good luck,

I have a model of a cylinder head and need to start getting it cast, how do i shell the head to leave a nominal thickness around the ports and head bolts and then turn that shell in to a solid so it can be machined in to the female water jacket halves for the sand to be pored in to give a male water jacket?????.

Also can you cut imported surfaces out of solids.???

I've had a little training but there is not too much on offer down here in Western Australia.

I have donw that cavity thing but it gives a male rather than a female but if i do it again it should give me a female, it is also hard to get a good split line.

Whats the best way to cut an imported surface out of a solid.

Is there any good books that i could buy to help me with things like this.

casting

you can "split" the surface, or create another surface or plane to "trim" to, or use the newly created surface to "cut with surface".

There is a good book, Solidworks for Dummies, but I think since you are already on molds, it might be a bit basic for you. Have you tried any "blogs".

good luck.

For castings, not only do you need to consider machining, but shrinkage. Any pattern would need to be sized to allow for shrink during cooling.

My advice is to create a new configuration in your part. It sounds like you have a solid for your machined and finished part. What I've done in the past is to take that, create a new configuration, then add features to create a cast part. You can use an extrude to fill in a portion of the bolt holes. You can also offset the surfaces or alter dimensions for that configuration ONLY to create a better pattern that is still parametric to the finished part requirements. You can even create features for gates and the like.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back