Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Conversion from english to metric

mconklin

I am having problems when I load a catia model into PCDMIS. I have found out that the reason is that the model for some reason is in metric and I am programming the part in english or inches. They are working on the software for a fix. But I was wondering is there a way to convert this in catia.:)

How did you switch to working in inches?

All CATIA V5 files are stored in millimeters

Last edited:
I don't think there is a way to convert the file from mm to inches - I think all V5 files must be in millimeters. (I might be wrong)

You can "fake it" by scaling the 3D model by a factor of 25.4

could you please verify how you made this model - did you use Tools + Options to switch your working mode to inches?

The reason I was wanting to convert is so that when I put the file in pcdmis the datum points will not show up if Im doing a program in inches(which is the way that it is dimensioned. But if I make the program in millimeters the datum points will show up

I didn't make the model I received it in a v4 from spirit and then I migrated into a v5 then i do a direct cad interface into pcdmis which is a cmm software. If when i create the program in inches the datum points will not show up. But if I create the program in millimeters they will

V4 models are different from V5. V4 models start in millimeters but the units can be changed to whatever (with the CATUNIT utility program).

With a different architecture, V5 data is stored in millimeters. User choose the units they want to work in (3D modeling and measure) and V5 converts -n-the-fly back to mm.

If you're not sure what units were used with V4 and what you have in V5, we can do a little test: switch length units to millimeters and measure a known distance. Based on the measure results, we can figure out if the model is full size or not.

I'm not sure why the datum points do not always appear.

Ive tried to see and the v4 also was in metric so I dont know I guess Im stuck until they make the fix in pcdmis

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back