Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

converting scatter into a volume or a surface

A "Volume" in CATIA is similar to a solid, but created (and modified) in a totally different manner.

A "volume" is a closed set of faces (surfaces) that define the skin of a part. It is a Boundary-Rep model. (CATIA V5 uses CSG solids)

Because it defines the total shape of a part and can be used to analyze the inertia properties, a "volume" can be considered a "solid" based on how your interpret the definition.

But in the CATIA V5 world, solids and volumes are very different 3D models.

Last edited:
I don't know, Kevin; I'm not a Composites user.

Does anyone else know if Volumes are used for Composites?

In the old days

Volumes were used as MrCatia says. Now days, volumes are going out of favor, however heritage models are still being used.

Wht type of modeling method used also depends on what the model is being used for. Fibersim has been used with Catia V4 for modeling layups, particularly when used with automated tape laying machines. But that is years old information. I do not know what the standards are these days. I would think that Stress engineers would like discrete layer modeling for use with analysis programs to identify any problems with a layup. Trying to use a monolithic solid does not allow for thermal warp and uni-ply buildup effects.

Designers like plain old solids (solids by V5 standards) unless they are the type that do their own analysis. But recognize, analysis models differ from models for manufacturing needs.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back