Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

coordinates questions

8ball4116

I have a few questions that I am doing that I don't know the answer to or how to get the answer to them....if anyone could help....

A lines start point is at the origin, and it's endpoint is established by the spherical coordinates of (3.5<56.4<-25)
How long is the line?
Is the end of the line on the positive or negative side of the XY plane, as defined by the Z axis

spherical co-ordinates information extraction

Hello 8ball4116,
I’ve never used spherical coordinates so I assumed that these figures were of a spherical coordinates nature. So I did the following:-

Command: _line Specify first point: 0,0
Specify next point or [Undo]: <Ortho off> 3.5<56.4<-25
Specify next point or [Undo]:

I then activated the LIST command and got the following:-
Command: _list
Select objects: 1 found
Select objects:
LINE Layer: "0"
Space: Model space
Handle = 7423
from point, X= 0.00 Y= 0.00 Z= 0.00
to point, X= 1.76 Y= 2.64 Z= -1.48
In Current UCS, Length = 3.17, Angle in XY Plane = 56.40
3D Length = 3.50, Angle from XY Plane = 335.00
Delta X = 1.76, Delta Y = 2.64, Delta Z = -1.48

I then viewed the line from a 3d viewpoint by using Orbit to see for myself where it went:-

Command: '_3dorbit Press ESC or ENTER to exit, or right-click to display
shortcut-menu.
Regenerating model.

I then also activated the .id command, picked the far end of the line and got the following:-
Command: '_id Specify point: X = 1.76 Y = 2.64 Z = -1.48

Activate the Help file and type in spherical coordinates.
The description & diagram are worth reading.

You could also put @ in front of your equation:- @3.5<56.4<-25 and this will give you a line from wherever you want to start, 3.5 units long in the specified direction.
Your line is therefor 3.5 units long & it appears to be within the positive quadrant of the x& y, but below ‘ground zero’ by –1.48 units(-z).

I hope this will be of some help to you.

I can only imagine that saying ''spherical co-ordinates information extraction'' repeatedly at the end of a marthon pub crawl would get you a resounding round of applause!:D

regards

Stephen

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back