Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

creat a helix

R

ronyraj2004

how can v create a helix with any shape as top view exept circle (hexagon,square ,etc)

A Helix curve is made first to define the centerline path of the helical surface or solid.

A helical surface is defined with the SWEEP tool using a helical curve as the guide and a profile typically defined in a sketch. This profile can be any shape (circle, square, polygon, etc.)

A helical solid is defined with a RIB or GROOVE. The helical curve is used as the center curve, and a sketch defines the profile. Again, the profile can be any shape, but it probably should be a closed shape.

the top view,i meant is the wireframe helix's top,its obtained with the profile option in helix command ,but I dont know how profile option works,am attach here a fig of top view

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 33
Ronyraj,

I'm sorry I missunderstood your question. :eek:

Depending on what the top view shape is, you may be able to do it. But not directly with a helix curve, which in CATIA is always revolved about a center axis.

I haven't tried this, but if you had a shape such as a hexagon, you might be able to project a helical curve onto a extruded hexagon surface and use that for the center curve.

I'm curious where such a part (spring?) is used, and how is it made?

in the lab of my college ,my prfsr make one like this and then he make it flat with a taper angle of 89 and looks as a hexagonel coil, after that i tried it ,,bt i cant get it ,but he is not willing to teach it us

i cant get it ,is it related to the profile option in helix command ? if not wt is the use of that option?

The PROFILE option provides an easy way to define a variable radius of the helix as it moves down the axis.

After you click on the HELIX icon, hit the F1 button to go directly to the Help page - there's a good description and a figure that explains what the PROFILE option does.

Last edited:
ok ,thanks,,i will look ,,
can u give me some step by step figures about ,how you create that heaxagonel helix,,hope that will give some more ideas

it can be done with law curves, i saw it once but i cannot do it now. i am here 'cos I'm searching the same thing

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back