Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Creating an offset section view at a specific angle

DavidHansson

Hello, I'm quite new to catia. I'm in draft mode, and I have made a offset section using aligned offset section, one part of the section line goes in horizontal direction an one part of it is angled,, the problem is that I want to give the angled part of the section line a specific angle, but I can't find a way to do this!
random-344004098

Last edited by a moderator:
Creating an angle to my offset section

Hello, I'm quite new to Catia. In drafting mode I try to make an angle to my offset section line, one half of the section line is horizontal and one part is angled by 34 degree,, but I can't find a way to type in the angle.. plz help!
random-344004098

By "draft mode", I believe you're using the DRAFTING workbench and you want to add a Section View to your drawing.

To specify an Offset Cutting Line with an exact shape, go to the 3D model and add a Sketch of the cutting line(s), and constrain it into position. Add the 34° constraint, along wilth the Horizontal constraint. Add other constraints as necessary, such as center of a hole.

Once the Sketch is defined, switch back to the drawing and create a new Section View. But when prompted to define the section lines, go to the 3D part window and select the Sketch instead. This will bring back your drawing, and you can finish creating the view as normal.

Beside being able to specify the exact shape of your cutting line, another benefit is the Sketch is constrained to your 3D geometry; if you move the hole or change features the cutting line is constrained to, the Section View will automatically update.

Last edited:
By "draft mode", I believe you're using the DRAFTING workbench and you want to add a Section View to your drawing.

To specify an Offset Cutting Line with an exact shape, go to the 3D model and add a Sketch of the cutting line(s), and constrain it into position. Add the 34° constraint, along wilth the Horizontal constraint. Add other constraints as necessary, such as center of a hole.

Once the Sketch is defined, switch back to the drawing and create a new Section View. But when prompted to define the section lines, go to the 3D part window and select the Sketch instead. This will bring back your drawing, and you can finish creating the view as normal.

Beside being able to specify the exact shape of your cutting line, another benefit is the Sketch is constrained to your 3D geometry; if you move the hole or change features the cutting line is constrained to, the Section View will automatically update.

Thanks for the help! It was exactly what I was looking for :) Maybe you (or someone else) can help me with one more thing to my draft.. I want to make a line across one of the views, the line should describe that the drawing is symmetric across the line! And I also want to make an angle from one hole to another but I have nothing to snap on to create it,, The following link shows a picture of what I mean! drawing by ~DavidHansson on deviantART

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back