Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Creating quick drawings from multiple configuration of a single part

kbnguyen314

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to quickly create multiple drawings from a single part that has multiple configuration? In solidWorks, there is a simpel drop down menu that allows you to chose the configuration. The only way I've gotten this to work in catia was to freeze the drawing, update the part to a different configuration then update a copy of the first drawing that is unfrozen. I was hoping maybe somone knew of a simpler and faster method.

Thanks a bunch all,

A Design Table will allow you to define and choose from multiple configurations of a part. You could update the associated drawing and save it with a new drawing number.

Could you give us an example or two of what you consider a part with multiple configurations?

Last edited:
a very simple example would be a square that is 1" x 1", another configuration would be 2" x 2". I want to create one drawing with 2 sheets, one with each configuration.

Okay, a Design Table might be a little too much for that simple example.

Instead, I recommend making a parameterized version of one square part (CATPart, and then just copy the CATPart file (using SAVE MANAGEMENT+SAVE AS) with different parameter settings. Make the drawing of one square part, then copy the sheet and use EDIT + LINKS to replace the pointed document link with a different square part.

A couple things to mention about "families of parts:"
* each square part is unique and will have it's own unique part number
* each square part will have it's own 3D model (CATPART)
* there are many ways the parts can be documentated on one or more drawings.

Last edited:
I was simply providing an example. My models are not so simple. I use a design table to create 28 different configurations which are all similar, but have different dimensions from hole pitch, hole size, part thickness and etc. What I'm trying to accomplish here is creating multiple sheets in a single drawing of each different design without the need to freeze to the sheet.

You have configuration 1, 2, 3 & 4.
You create 4 sheets for each configuration in a single drawing. Sheet 1 = config 1 sheet 2 = config 2.
Currently I am choosing configuration 1. updating the drawing. freezing the drawing. Choosing configuration 2. Update drawing. freezing drawing and etc.
What I am wondering is is there a method where on sheet 1 I can choose to show configuration 1. and then go to sheet 2 and choose config 2 without having to freeze or update the model.
I know there is a method to do this in SolidWorks so I was wondering if there was something similar in CATIA.

Use the Design Table to create the four unique parts: C1, C2, C3, C4, up to C28. (each part will be an individual CATPart file)

Now make a drawing with Sheet 1 based on the C1 part. Add a new sheet and make the new views based on the C2 part. Repeat for all the other sheets.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back