Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

driving dimensions

rpetrie

Hi,

where has the driving dimensions feature gone?

I used to use Solid Edge prior to the revised MS Office 2007 style User Interface. It appears to me that all dimensions are now passive. That is, if I make a dimension change to a line for example then I expect the line length to change but this is no longer the case.

Thanks,
Richard

Try this...

Richard,

If you are in 3D sketching in traditioanl modeling, you still have the ability to set dimensions to driving/driven. Once you select a dimension look for the "Driving" button in the value section of edit definition--make sure you have the edgebar displayed.

If you are drawing lines and such in 2D (drafting), click the dimension text and a small window will appear where you can enter the text, toggle the driven button if needed. Also, consider turning on maintain relationships (use command finder to locat it).

Hope this helps

Try this...

if you are drawing 2D sketches in part, make sure the driving button (in the Value section) within edit definition is properly set (click that button to change). Also, make sure edge bar is shown. Sometimes this can get inadvertantnly clicked. Select the dimension and enter the value.

If you are drawing sketches in 2D draft, make sure you select the dimension text and a small edit box will display, toggle the driving button on that small window to toggle between driving and driven modes. COnsider drawing with maintain relationships on to set dimensions to driving (use command finder to locat it).

If you are editing dimensions in Synchronous modeling mode, click the dimension text and a edit windown with Lock button let's you toggle between editable and locked dimension.

I hope this helps

Kris

Hi,

where has the driving dimensions feature gone?

I used to use Solid Edge prior to the revised MS Office 2007 style User Interface. It appears to me that all dimensions are now passive. That is, if I make a dimension change to a line for example then I expect the line length to change but this is no longer the case.

Thanks,
Richard

Try this...

if you are drawing 2D sketches in part, make sure the driving button (in the Value section) within edit definition is properly set (click that button to change). Also, make sure edge bar is shown. Sometimes this can get inadvertantnly clicked. Select the dimension and enter the value.

If you are drawing sketches in 2D draft, make sure you select the dimension text and a small edit box will display, toggle the driving button on that small window to toggle between driving and driven modes. COnsider drawing with maintain relationships on to set dimensions to driving (use command finder to locat it).

If you are editing dimensions in Synchronous modeling mode, click the dimension text and a edit windown with Lock button let's you toggle between editable and locked dimension.

I hope this helps

Kris

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back