Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Extruded cut on a non-planar solid

Mortier

Hello all,

I've got a slight issue, I am trying to make a cut in a deck that I have which is a curved solid. I have used the extruded cut feature and chosen upto surface (the surface on the other side), but this gives me the error "Operation failed due to geometric condition".
However if I try to make the extrusion to go just Blind at a randomly high distance it gives me the exact same error.

The sketch has been made with intersection curves of the edges of solids placed on top of the deck.

Pictures:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4428927/screenshot_extrude.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4428927/screenshot_extrude2.JPG

Thank you for any suggestions you can give me

Alex

Hehe it is a closed profile. The blue line is a direction line. The sketch has been drawn on the surface I can confirm (it is still a 3d sketch tho)

Try to make an extruded boss with that sketch, if it fails, there is something wrong in the sketch geometry (easiest way to verify this).

You can use the option "Check sketch for feature" under Tools > Sketch Tools. You need to be sketch edit mode to use this tool.

Also you can use delete faces options to remove the faces instead of doing a cut extrude.

Hi

@Gupta:
- I cannot do that feature sketch check cause its a 3D sketch
- Delete face won't work in this case cause of other features existing beneath (which are thicker).

So what I have done now is: make a complete 2d sketch of the part to be removed with convert entities on a arbitrary plane. Then I projected this onto the face to be removed.
Now the extruded cut still doesnt work (it passes but it wont cut the feature out)
The extruded boss fails and says "This feature can only modify an existing body. It cannot create new bodies".

Hi Gupta

Thanks for having a look
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4428927/boat.SLDPRT

EDIT:
oh I solved the issue, I used a 2d sketch to extrude it. I placed the sketch on a plane at the forward top of the surface to be removed.
Then I made a extrude up to surface to the bottom side.

You might have a fancier way of doing it but I think its pretty neat :p

Last edited:
Hello all,

I've got a slight issue, I am trying to make a cut in a deck that I have which is a curved solid. I have used the extruded cut feature and chosen upto surface (the surface on the other side), but this gives me the error "Operation failed due to geometric condition".
However if I try to make the extrusion to go just Blind at a randomly high distance it gives me the exact same error.

The sketch has been made with intersection curves of the edges of solids placed on top of the deck.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back