Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Horisontal Constarint between center of two circles

neo_306

DropBox

Could somebody advise follow:

I would like to define horizontaly distance between two circuit. How I can get horizontaly distance (green line) between centers of circuits?

BR,
Juho

One way is to add a construction line between the two center points of the circles. Add a Horizontal constraint to this line, and then constrain the length of the line.

Another way is to add two vertical construction lines, with each line coincident with each circle's center point. Then add the length constraint between the two vertical lines.

Depending on what you want, the second method is probably better because the centerpoints don't have to be horizontal to each other.

Thank you for your tips! Now I can proceed.

I seem to remember that there was somewere properties or optios where can determine direction of construction (dimenssion) line. And exctra lines are not necessary.

But unfortunately I have forget this technique.

you learn something new every day!

You're absolutely correct, Juho. There is a contextual menu that quickly allows you to force the length constraint to be in horizontal direction. Thanks for sharing that tip!

H_constraint_1.jpg

H_constraint_2.jpg

H_constraint_3.jpg

Last edited:
Now we are close...

Okay, now we are pretty close what I meant!

Where I found just this contex menu what is in your picture?
Clicking dimension line whit right mouse button opens followin context menu, not menu what I am lookin for:

Last edited:
1. Are we talking about drafting dimensions or sketcher constraints? My responses above are based on sketcher constraints. If we are talking drafting, there is a Dimensioning Toolbar that lets you choose the dimension direction. (see first attachment below)

2. Your last image doesn't show the contextual menu, so I'm not sure what you see. When I right-click when creating a new dimension, I get a contextual menu that let's me choose FORCE HORIZONTAL DIMENSION. (see second attachment below) Be careful when using an Auxilary View: "Horizontal" might not be the direction you want. You might want to use the FORCE DIMENSION ALONG DIRECTION and choose a reference line.

Attachments

• H_dimen.jpg
    H_dimen.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 7
  • H_dimen2.jpg
    H_dimen2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6
We are talkin sketcher constrains and last image is totally frong

Yes, we are talking sketcher constraits not dafting.

I don't understood why there is that picture in my last message. That is picture of somebody else?

I attach again same picture what is supposed to be my message (and I changed file name if that was cause for error)

There should be context menu what opening whit click by right mouse button.

This is not so easy, I really appreciate your help

1. Are we talking about drafting dimensions or sketcher constraints? My responses above are based on sketcher constraints. If we are talking drafting, there is a Dimensioning Toolbar that lets you choose the dimension direction. (see first attachment below)

2. Your last image doesn't show the contextual menu, so I'm not sure what you see. When I right-click when creating a new dimension, I get a contextual menu that let's me choose FORCE HORIZONTAL DIMENSION. (see second attachment below) Be careful when using an Auxilary View: "Horizontal" might not be the direction you want. You might want to use the FORCE DIMENSION ALONG DIRECTION and choose a reference line.

Attachments

• Kuvankaappaus .jpg
    Kuvankaappaus .jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The contextual menu you're looking for is only available during the construction (or definition) of a constraint. Once a constraint is created, a different contextual menu is available to edit the constraint as it was defined.
H_constraint_3.jpg

So, you should right-click immediately after the constraint is first shown (and before you left-click to position the constraint).

Last edited:
Now this issue is clear, thank you!

The contextual menu you're looking for is only available during the construction (or definition) of a constraint. Once a constraint is created, a different contextual menu is available to edit the constraint as it was defined.
View attachment 495

So, you should right-click immediately after the constraint is first shown (and before you left-click to position the constraint).

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back