Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How Can Create Knurling Surface on a Hammer Handle?

farhang_760

Hey Guys
I want to create knurling Surface on the Handle of some part such as Hammer or Wrench.
attachment.php

In the above pic you can see the knurling area.
Well
I want to create this in catia V5, in the below Pic, you see,I create a helix line around the handle and use Slot command But for Pattern this Slot My PC's Cpu Cant calculate and Stop the command.
attachment.php

it s the way that i choose to create this surface that fails to run....!!!!
I ask Help from all Guys...

if any way you think could be better or a best way.....plz Discuss in this Topic

All My best

Attachments

• knurling.jpg
    knurling.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 25
  • 6-20-2010 7-52-00 PM.jpg
    6-20-2010 7-52-00 PM.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 9
Knurling and Threads are two features that you are better off not modeling in the 3D model. They both take a lot of time to model, plus eat up a lot of file space and graphic processing; and they are not used for manufacturing (if they are a standard size).

Instead, just call out the knurling on the drawing.

Last edited:
But, if you want the model the knurl anyway (for a more realistic image), I would use the helix and slot method you said you tried.

(I don't have access to CATIA right now to verify the steps, but I will try to provide instructions tomorrow)

Thanx....

Knurling and Threads are two features that you are better off not modeling in the 3D model. They both that a lot of time to model, plus eat up a lot of file space and graphic processing; and they are not used for manufacturing (if they are a standard size).

Instead, just call out the knurling on the drawing.

:):)
I thanx for your reply... You are right... in manufacturing this modeling isnt important... but I want to try this for myself to learn more and more...
so I must say I succeed !!!!!!
here i Drop some pic about my method to create this complex surface.
I say that my Pc's Cpu can't calculate this process......ok...... I find the reason!!!
when i run the slot command it made a helix groove on my surface then when i run circular pattern on my surface to duplicate my slots I find that these helix grooves drop on the other so the calculation of this surface was very weighty and complex!!!!
I start patterning one groove 1 time to see this drop.....
Finally i find my mistake and its nothing just the position of the sketch that i use it for my Slot's Profile.
I understand that the sketch's position change on the helix path.so make complex and irregular groove that drop on the other grooves.so this drop make the calculation complex for the other Grooves.
I just change the setting for fixing the position of my sketch then all done ok

as you see my work in this picture...
in this pic you see the slot Command window,I change the profile control to "pulling direction" and set it to V direction(it solve my problem!!!)

attachment.php

then I pattern this helix groove(slot) to the number that I want
as see below
attachment.php

Finally You can see the knurling (Unidirectional-one direction)Surface on my handle
attachment.php

Thanx very much MrCATIA :)

Ok i have another question????
Which toolbox contain Knurling in drawing???
thanx again

Attachments

• Circular pattern.jpg
    Circular pattern.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Slot Command.jpg
    Slot Command.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Bottom Of Handle.jpg
    Bottom Of Handle.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 29
What you've done so far looks good Farhang.

Two suggestions:
1. extend the Helix on the left side a little longer to make sure it breaks out on the chamfer
2. keep the profile sketch as simple as possible. 3 lines forming a triangle, with the top of the triangle well outside of the handle diameter.

You said the slot profile sketch gave you problems. I would make a plane normal to the helix curve at the end point, and make your sketch in this plane centered on the helix end point.

Modeling wise, I suggest the following
a. delete the Slot and Pattern, and replace it with the following
b. Insert a new Body, and rename it "Knurling"
c. Add a Groove into this new Knurling Body
d. Pattern the Groove around the centerline, using the Current Solid option
e. Mirror the Pattern for the diamond pattern
f. Use a Boolean Remove to subtract the Knurling Body from the rest of the part

Last edited:
:):)

Ok i have another question????
Which toolbox contain Knurling in drawing???
thanx again

There is not special command in the Drafting workbench for this. You have to add a Leader Text to specify the knurling size with the arrow pointing to the area to be knurled.

What you've done so far looks good Farhang.

Two suggestions:
1. extend the Helix on the left side a little longer to make sure it breaks out on the chamfer
2. keep the profile sketch as simple as possible. 3 lines forming a triangle, with the top of the triangle well outside of the handle diameter.

You said the slot profile sketch gave you problems. I would make a plane normal to the helix curve at the end point, and make your sketch in this plane centered on the helix end point.

Modeling wise, I suggest the following
a. delete the Slot and Pattern, and replace it with the following
b. Insert a new Body, and rename it "Knurling"
c. Add a Groove into this new Knurling Body
d. Pattern the Groove around the centerline, using the Current Solid option
e. Mirror the Pattern for the diamond pattern
f. Use a Boolean Remove to subtract the Knurling Body from the rest of the part

My work Cant Be good as you do for Guidance All Guys, MrCATIA
I follow your suggestion
And a note that i should say that you point. I create the Slots profile in the plain that normal to the helix curve. if i didnt this certainly my groove became irregular.thanx for this mention.
ok you are right, the profile should be keep as simple as possible. this help the groove to have a regular shape and finally have a good knurling surface.

Ok i heard somthing about this function of creating new body
i think it mean create groove in the new part and remove it from previous part

Ok I think this is a very gooooooooooddd Idea.I Do this...
But now I Havnt time for modeling I must done a project of calculating Air conditioning systems.
So I do it later and Say the result here.

There is not special command in the Drafting workbench for this. You have to add a Leader Text to specify the knurling size with the arrow pointing to the area to be knurled.

I find it.But not for knurling. with this you can create a cross line area and then use writing to describe the surface.:)

Thank you Again MrCatia​
:)

But, if you want the model the knurl anyway (for a more realistic image), I would use the helix and slot method you said you tried.

I had a chance to follow and verify our instructions above to add the knurling to a circular handle. But, as expected, it was slow. The circular pattern, the mirror, and the remove each took several minutes on my computer. But the result was much more realistic.
knurling.jpg

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back