Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How do I convert small geometric surfaces into one large surface?

vastzor

Hi
I just had a 3D laser scan done on a former. The scan is an IGS file. When I load the file in CATIA v5 release 17 and attempt to edit the file I get the message "the current in work object isn't a body" The reason I am getting this message is because the file has a geometric set which is made up of over 400 small surfaces. Is there any way to transform all these surfaces into one surface. This way I can edit the whole former in one pass as opposed to one surface at a time? I added the string V5V17MaxSimplif=1 to my environment file but to no avail.

Thank you for your time.

The reason you are getting the "the current in work object isn't a body" is because you are probably in the Part Design workbench. You need to switch to one of the Shape workbenches (such as GSD) to work with the surfaces in the Geometric Set.

You can "glue" all of the little surfaces together by using the JOIN command. If you have the option, use the FEDERATE ALL option for CATIA to better recognize all the little surfaces in the JOIN as one big surface. (If you don't have FEDERATE, just select the JOIN in the tree)

Hopefully, your scanner software provides clean and accurate surfaces without any gaps, otherwise the JOIN may not work without doing some "healing"

My attempt to close the object as per your advice proved to no avail. I ran the surface connection checker in the healing assistant and it found only 3 border related anomalies. The object i want to close has three circular openings one at the top and two at the bottom. These borders were clearly highlighted by the surface conection checker. But I know the close operator can close an object with open ends.How can this be? Do i need to define the borders somehow?
Thank you for your time and experience.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back