Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How do I insert sheet metal feature to this part?

Mans

I tried to design the outside face of a car door that is curved and is not planar. I did that in GSD and when I transferred it into "sheet metal design" so that I can bend some of its edge (and other changes) this message issued:

;

I even convert it into a solid part and then transferred it again into sheet metal section but the message appeared again.

The questions are these:

1- How can I attach a sheet metal feature to this part?

2- If it is not possible, so how I can create a curved face (like what you see in the picture) in the "generative sheet metal design" or " sheet metal design?"

Thank you

Mans, you need to take some formal CATIA training!

The Sheetmetal Design workbench is for parts that are made from flat sheets with straight bends (bent on a brake). Parts like the picture below. Your curved part cannot be done with the Sheetmetal workbench.

sheetmetal.jpg

If you want to develop a flat pattern of your curved surface, you need the Developed Shapes license in order to add the Unfold/Fold tools to the Generative Shape Design workbench.

Last edited:
You are right. I need to learn about Catia more, and I am doing this, but in addition to study the instructions (pdf files that I have) I try to find some techniques by myself! This helps me to understand and learn this complicated and developed engineering software sooner( of course partially.)

Your helps are appreciated :)

So please tell me, how I can bend the edges of the curved part (not flat sheets)? In which part of catia I can do this?

So please tell me, how I can bend the edges of the curved part (not flat sheets)? In which part of catia I can do this?

There are many ways to add the bent flanges.

Since you started with a surface of the door panel, I would continue to use GSD workbench tools to add the flanges and other features. Once you have a complete surface of the entire door, you can make a solid with ThickSurface.

But this is not a simple modeling problem, so again I suggest learning the basics of Part Design before jumping into other workbenches. And the best and fastest way to learn is by taking courses from a Dassault certified instructor.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back