Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How to bend and flatten out a round sheetmetal part?

Adalia

Hi,
Can any explain how to bend and flatten out a round sheetmetal part? i need to get this to form in a straight 90 deg bend down where i have the reliefs cut into it.
Thanks

don't quite understand... if it's already sheetmetal, unsuppress the flatpattern feature. If it isn't already sheetmetal, then you have to convert it into a sheetmetal part so you can then flatten it, bend it, etc. If it's a rolled sheetmetal part with two ends on the radii, select one of the end/surfaces and insert sheetmetal bend. This will convert it to sheetmetal and allow you to create flatpatterns, bends, etc.

good luck.

First, I want to clarify that sheet metal parts need to have uniform thickness like a piece of sheet metal. Also, you say "round" but I'll assume that you mean a radius along a corner. If these are both true then you should be able to create a sheet metal part. Solidworks Help should walk you through examples if you aren't sure.

If your formed part does not have uniform thickness, you can't create a sheet metal part. If your part is round like a sphere or partial sphere, you won't be able to create a sheet metal part. Basically a sheet metal part must have some planar surfaces and radii that are individually 2D as opposed to compound curves (3D). Picture in your mind how you could bend a sheet of paper to form the part and all the features.

Solidworks Sheetmetal parts will not handle deep draws that form complex 3D surfaces.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back