Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How to load drawing with out model?

Balint

Hi,
I want to send a SW drawing to a customer and I want to detach all the links to the model so that I can make changes to it in SolidWorks before sending it. Can any one suggest me how to sever the links to the model.
Thanks.

Re: How to load drawing without model?

First I'm assuming that you referring to opening up the drawing using SWx. And if that's the case, then why would you want to load the drawing without the model ? If you want to make changes to the drawing, then why wouldn't you want to load the model ? Unless of course the drawing & model is substantially large and it takes quite a while for them to load.

If that's the case then try loading the part as a Lightweight Part. This way the drawing will open much quicker. This is only good though if you only plan on making changes to just the drawing and not to the part file.

But maybe if you explain, in more detail, what you're actually trying to accomplish then maybe you'd get a better answer.

Detached Drawings

Hi,
I want to send a SW drawing to a customer and I want to detach all the links to the model so that I can make changes to it in SolidWorks before sending it. Can any one suggest me how to sever the links to the model.
Thanks.

Balint,

Here's the info about detached drawings from SolidWorks Help:

To create a detached drawing:

Click Save on the Standard toolbar (for a new drawing) or File, Save As (for drawing that has been saved previously).

In the Save As dialog box, select Detached Drawing (*.slddrw) for Save as type.

Specify the file name, then click Save.

You can also use Edrawings to send edrawing format.

Matt
CAD Engineer/Change Analyst
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of solidworks : SolidWorks Yahoo! Group

Try to SaveAs>>Detached Drawing, which will cause the drawing to load without model. You can decide whether to load the model or not later.

Personally, I like to save the drawing as a PDF. I will also send along a DXF file at 1:1 if im going to a laser cutter or waterjet.

I also prefer to save my SW drawings as PDF's. They're small (file size) and anyone can read them. You can't make changes to the PDF drawings though (which is a good thing!)...not sure if thats what you mean. Or are you saying you want to make changes to the model...without that effecting the drawing. Sounds like the 'detach drawing' option is good...haven't used it before because I didn't know it was there.

good luck!

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back