Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

how to merge faces of a part

nimanimax72

HI THERE
Is there a way to merge faces(created by fillets mostly) to merge as a one face?to have better and smoother part(for examle a part like this pic)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 2
You could use Join or maybe even Concatenate to merge surfaces together. But it seems like an odd thing to do based on the attached image - the edges show all the fillets (and sharp corners). And the model is solid geometry, not surfaces. It looks pretty smooth to me.

I suggest just changing the Render Style to something without edges, such as Shading (SHD) so you don't see all the patchwork. Shading With Material will also make it look better.

You could use Join or maybe even Concatenate to merge surfaces together. But it seems like an odd thing to do based on the attached image - the edges show all the fillets (and sharp corners). And the model is solid geometry, not surfaces. It looks pretty smooth to me.

I suggest just changing the Render Style to something without edges, such as Shading (SHD) so you don't see all the patchwork. Shading With Material will also make it look better.
thanks-my concern is that the part should be smooth(so no sharp edges at all) how can i make sure of smoothness of part?

The easiest & quickest way to check for surface smoothness is to look at the light reflection as you rotate your part. A white spot with fairly smooth/faded edges represents a smooth surface with good continuity across the patchwork, like in your attached picture. Using Two Lights, or Neon lighting will help. If you see choppy edges or sudden changes in the reflection - that means your surface is not smooth.
1663608130655.png

Another way to check for smoothness is the customize the Rendering Style and use the Gouraud type. This is similar to the previous method, but adds color based on surface normals.
1663609500017.png

The Surface Curvature Analysis 1663609159450.png tool has many ways to check for surface quality. The Gaussian method is pretty easy to use.
1663608922983.png

There are several other surface analysis tools (such as "porcupine analysis") to check surface quality.

(when I have some time, I'll add some pictures to explain this better)

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back