Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Hybrid design with Geometric set availed

k.udhay

Hi,
In Catia V5 R20, I get options to enable or disable hybrid design. With that I also have a choice to create a geometric set or not. My question now is this:
What difference does it make between Hybrid design enabled and disabled but keeping geometric set on in both the conditions?

When I try I find that geometric set (esp. profile sketches, guide curves etc.) becomes independent even in hybrid design thus giving me the same benefit of a non hybrid design. Why do we still have hybrid & non-hybrid options?

I read few forums about hybrid design, but this specific combination is not discussed in detail. For me, when I did few trials in Catia, I didn't find any difference either. Pl. help. Thanks.

With Hybrid Design enabled, Geometric Sets are not required, but could be used to group various non-solid geometry.

With Hybrid Design disabled, Geometric Sets are required to contain non-solid geometry (points, lines, planes, surfaces, etc).

In both modes, it really doesn't matter if you create a Geometric Set when creating a new file since you can always insert a new Geometric Set later, or one will be added automatically when needed.

Last edited:
Thanks. In both the cases, the non solid geometries are independent of the solid features. Then, isn't the difference between Hybrid and non hybrid design lost?

No. Hybrid mode and non-Hybrid mode are still different; in Hybrid mode the non-solid geometry can belong to a Body or a Geometric Set and must be sequential. In non-hybrid mode the non-solid geometry must belong to a Geometric Set.

Thanks, Mr. Catia. But I still don't see any difference. I made a simple flange with both the ways. Both gave me exact amount of flexibility and limitations when I tried reordering or deleting some features.
Do you have any example that can demonstrate the differences?

I had some free time to go through my original list, and discovered that several of the items were no different. As a result, I have modified my list below

The differences between Hybrid and Non-Hybrid are not as obvious with a simple model - but are more noticeable when working with more complex models, especially multi-body models containing both types of bodies.

Here are a couple things you can try:

1. Add an offset plane from a face on the flange. Where does the plane show up in the tree?

2. Isolate the plane. Try to edit the flange so the plane becomes parent geometry (Pad up to the plane, OR constrain the sketch to the plane)

3. Add a parameter. Note the message about where to place the parameter.

4. Try using Tools + Hide + All Geometric Sets to hide everything but the solid part.

At my current job, management has chosen to let each user decide which mode to use. So most of the models are a combination of Hybrid and non-Hybrid bodies. It takes some extra effort and care to edit these models. We recently discovered errors with weight calculations when the model contained both types of bodies.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back