Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Hybrid Design: yes or no?

giangnguyen

Dear MrCATIA,

How do you think about using "hybrid" design option here? Should it be "non-hybrid" or "hybrid" choosing? I am a bit confused about this choice, I have reads many threads about these discussion, I feel it depends on case by case.

From your experience, how do you think about choosing which option in GSD workbench?

Does "hybrid" design allow easier manipulation with PowerCopy? Is there any trouble you can foresee?

Thank you so much.

Either method is okay. "Hybrid" is cleaner, because all the geometry (solids, points, lines, planes, surfaces, etc) is the PartBody, although some people prefer "Non-Hybrid" because it separates the solid geometry and locates all other geometry in Geometric Sets.

Most companies will choose which one to use and will lock their CATIA system so all users only use save method. Most of the companies I have worked at use "Non-Hybrid" because that's how CATIA was originally written, and they don't see any benefit to switch.

I've heard that creating a PowerCopy is easier if using "Hybrid", but I don't think it makes much difference.

Either method is okay. Problems start to appear when mixing the two methods (ie: using a Hybrid model with a Non-Hybrid environment)

As a student, it's probably good to become familiar with both methods.

Last edited:
Dear MrCATIA,

Thank you for your answer, so at first I do with default "hybrid" option. Later on, I will try with "non-hybrid" option. Perhaps because most of amateurs start with the default option, i.e "hybrid", so they cannot see the difference, like me. Or maybe it is just the matter of habit.

hybrid body

1.Hybrid Body is recommended, when a designer requires a combination of solid and surface based modeling under a single body.
2.This is used to maintain the linearity in sequence of feature creation.
3.Hybrid bodies are recommended when the modeling requires surfacic parents or Volumes.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back