Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Is there any way I do this?

Mans

In recent months I had to work as a freelancer for creating logo, banner and so on, though I hate such the works that are advertising and not industrial. So I had to leave Catia and worked uninteresting with illustrator software that is a 2D artistic software. I learned it by myself this month and exercised inevitably, though I have not received any work propose yet!

Tonight I saw this suggestion in the freelancer website that the owner wanted a 3D shape is made from the picture.

whatsapp-image-2020-03-21-at-00-31-31166.jpg

The one who offered the work told, it is better the 3D shape is made with Rieno or solidwork, but I thought, it can be created with Catia V5 as well, but didn't know how to create the curved engraving. I can create the same accurate 3D pot shape and also the flower pattern sketch on a plane but don't know how to project it around the pot.

I know I will miss the time and another freelancer will take on the work but I should learn this method of engraving with Catia for the next similar works. Any help is appreciated .

Engraving like this is not easy with CATIA or any CAD system. CAD is primarily to be used for engineering - not art.

But if you want to give it a try with CATIA, you could take a sketch of some of the patterns and try wrapping them onto the revolved surface. Or you could use the Work On Support to draw directly on the surface.

Dear master

You are right. Catia or other similar software are not matched for the artworks, and I wondered how the person requested such the 3D shape is made with Rhino or solidwork and also how I made this decision to create it with Catia, while the flower patterns themselves are not flat exactly and need to be engraved by all their details.

However, I followed your first recommendation that was using wrap method. I had not worked with wrap curve and surface yet and had to find a pdf instruction and thus could understand how the wraps works and also did some exercises.
Apparently, this method works but not as a perfect alternative for making the same detailed engraved flowers. I didn't use a pattern in my exercises yet, but probably the flowers and leaves would be flat and simple, without tops and downs. I will continue my practices with patterns later.

But about your second offer. I don't know what " work on support" is. I haven't worked with this method up to now, so I have to become familiar with this technique and find some references for learning, whether in the 3dcadforums or other places. I will report the result after using work on support.

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Work On Support is a 2D drawing mode. Similar to drawing in a sketch, except you are drawing real Points, Lines and Curves (that are not grouped inside of the sketch). The support can be a plane or a surface.

I worked with this method but couldn't create an accurate and neat draws on the pot. Points are not situate on the same places of the curved surface that I want to be. By this method, drawing the flowers and leaves is difficult and imbalanced. Also there are not guidelines and constrains to ease the drawing. I worked two hours but left it fruitlessly (probably the deficiency of my skill and experience was one of the problems).

So I neither used wrap nor work on support (though both work for skillful users) and went back to my talent to find another way. This time I used some complex alternatives such as extrude ( the sketched flower) cutting and trimming that eventually the result was this (for first attempt):

untitled-1.jpg

But it doesn't mean, I left the methods that you recommended me, especially the wrap technique. I will try to make a pattern of those flowers in the daft, turn it into a file with dxf format and then import it to the GSD workbench and add to the pot by wrapping.

Hello, MrCATIA

Today I had a search in the Persian websites and wanted to know, what type software Rhino is? I read a lot of advantages of the 3D software in compare with other CAD and CAM systems. It was told, one of its advantage is the possibility of its easy engraving for jewelry and woodwork.

This proclaim did attract my interest. Based on the information, Rhino works based on NURBS lines that was told is better than Mesh lines and is more accurate and flexible. I read, it not only is a powerful industrial and anarchistic 3D software, but also can be used as an artistic one as well. These made me fall in love with Rhino! So it became my number one option.

Now I need your advice to enlighten me about the Rhino software. Is it the same that I read about? Can I replace it with Catia and Autocad for technical design, beside its artistic facilities? Is it in the same stage and grade that these two famous 3d CAD software are? What's your advise and recommendation herein? Please inform me in this astonishing condition.

Thank you

Nice job on the vase!

From what I've heard and read, Rhino is a good surface modeling program.

Thank you very much :)

After some other investigations in the internet about Rhinoceros I eventually decided to learn it and work with. I installed its 6 version in my system last night and had a sort survey about this elite to become familiar with its scenes, toolbar and menu a little. Apparently everything is okay.

Despite my experience working with AutoCad, Catia and 3dmax (previously), I couldn't work with Rhino anymore. So, today I began collecting some tutorial pdf files to help me learn its function, instances and operation methods. It seems to be easier and lesser complex than Catia but with the same ability in the engineering and industrial designing.

I think, because of my experiences working with other CAD software I can learn it in a short time. Nonetheless I will not leave Catia and keep on working with this unique engineering software so, though I left AutoCad from last year (because it is mostly an architectonic software)

Excuse me that I take your time in the thread which is relative to the giant engineering software Catia V5. As I told before, Catia is in the highest rank and range of the engineering software.

I learned Rhinoceros!! LOL

This is my first effort in Rhinoceros to carve a sample of flower on a shape similar to the pot or candlestick in the picture. I mostly focused on the method of engraving in Rhino instead of creating an orderly shape with proper dimensions, so the flower became bigger than what it should be artistically! Also, the size of the vertical and horizontal petals are not equal.The vertical parts are longer,

In addition to these defects, the most important issue is that the flower is approximately smooth and hasn't the details that is seen in a real engraved wooden flower.

Anyhow it is not bad at all for first work. Now, it has remained learning the techniques that help me to develop this masterwork!!

flower309.jpg

Meanwhile, one of the annoying thing in Rhinoceros is its slow rendering. Rendering a picture with a high resolution and size of 1024-768, takes long about 20 minutes!

Hello

I eventually could approach the pattern on the wooden candlestick, after working for hours nonstop, till I could find the necessary techniques.

I'm happy I could do that without any guidance or mentor just during a week with the software that I was not familiar with before.
Of course it is not complete yet, but I have traveled most of the route and the rest of the road is short and smooth, thought I have to recreate the pattern again completely and create the shape for second time with the complete pattern similar to the candlestick in the picture.

I used two software for making the shape. First I used Illustrator program and drew the pattern (it is a nice software for artistic patterning). Then I saved the pattern with DXF format and imported it into Rhinoceros.
After that, I shaped the lines as 3D curves and converted them into the surfaces and joined polysurface. I used a method similar to the project imprinting in Catia and attached the 3D pattern to the pot and then used the circular array command with 4 instances, and finally I cut the additional edges and surfaces of the patterns in the pot with trimming.

vase-1.jpg

Hello

I eventually could approach the pattern on the wooden candlestick, after working for hours nonstop, till I could find the necessary techniques.

I'm happy I could do that without any guidance or mentor just during a week with the software that I was not familiar with before.
Of course it is not complete yet, but I have traveled most of the route and the rest of the road is short and smooth, thought I have to recreate the pattern again completely and create the shape for second time with the complete pattern similar to the candlestick in the picture.

I used two software for making the shape. First I used Illustrator program and drew the pattern (it is a nice software for artistic patterning). Then I saved the pattern with DXF format and imported it into Rhinoceros.
After that, I shaped the lines as 3D curves and converted them into the surfaces and joined polysurface. I used a method similar to the project imprinting in Catia and attached the 3D pattern to the pot and then used the circular array command with 4 instances, and finally I cut the additional edges and surfaces of the patterns in the pot with trimming.

vase-1.jpg
I really enjoyed that and appreciate your great effort. 👏👏👏👍

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back