Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Isolated line

rbarata

Hello, my friends

This must be a very basic question.

In a sketch, the sketch analysis tool says that there is an isolated line. What does that means?

Another question... it also says that the profile (the rectangle) is opened. I don't understand that because it was constructed with the rectangle tool. Some clarifications, please.

Thank you!

In a sketch, the sketch analysis tool says that there is an isolated line. What does that means?

In a Sketch, Isolated means the line is all by itself; it's not connected to any other geometry.

Outside of a Sketch, Isolated means the geometry has no parents and no history. CATIA also calls this a "datum" feature.

Another question... it also says that the profile (the rectangle) is opened. I don't understand that because it was constructed with the rectangle tool. Some clarifications, please.

Somehow after the rectangle was constructed, it became open. There is probably a gap (or sometimes overlap) in the profile. While in the Sketch Analysis, look for small blue circles which are the ends of the open profile, and then Trim those corners.

Last edited:
CATIA Tip:

When working with a Sketch, always activate (orange) the two sketch tools on the right side of the Sketch Tools toolbar. This will automatically create Geometric and Dimension constraints as new geometry is constructed.

sketch tools.PNG

Thanks for the reply.

In a Sketch, Isolated means the line is all by itself; it's not connected to any other geometry.

How can it be solved? In my case I have a line dividing a rectangle in two smaller rectangles. It seems the line tips are not connected with the rectangle profile.

Thank you

I don't understand - how can what be solved?

If you have a rectangle with a line in the middle - this is not a closed shape.

By solved I mean connect the line to the profile.

If you have a rectangle with a line in the middle - this is not a closed shape.

This line is dividing the rectangle in two squares, both with a common side (which might be, I suspect, a problem in Catia).

Thank you

You can constrain the endpoints of the middle line to a line in the rectangle, making them coincident. But this shape will still not be contiguous, and the line will remain isolated.

The sketch may be OK as it is, depending on how you will be using this sketch.

You can constrain the endpoints of the middle line to a line in the rectangle, making them coincident. But this shape will still not be contiguous, and the line will remain isolated.

That's what I suspected. Thank you very much, MrCATIA.:)

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back