Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

lofting freezes rhino 2.0

interestedeng

hi,
Im trying to loft a series of polylines contained in an iges file. The lines are circular (not perfectly but form a loop) and stacked vertically, one on top of the other. The radius of the lines increase as you travel in one direction, they were obtained from a Ct scan and represent the inner canal of a human bone. Now when i try to loft this structure the function begins to run but after a time the program freezes. Can anyone tell me what I need to do with the loft function to get it to work, or what other functions to use.

I have also tried using the surface function by entering a cloud of pts but it requires equal number of pts on each level, which i dont have. If i attempt to interpolate pts into my file (so that i have an equal number of pts on each level) the surface which the function produces has very irregular normals.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank You

Attachments

• polylines2.bmp
    388.9 KB · Views: 4
Making a model with scan data

There are several things you can do, but the first place to start is here:

Reverse Engineering

If I was doing this, I would eliminate about 75% of the cross-sections. Then I would make sure each one was closed. Then I would rebuild them to degree 3 and within some reasonable tolerance. Then I would try to loft them. As a test, try to loft 3 or 4 of the cross-sections you have, just to see if it will work.

If that works, try to add a few more cross-sections.

One of the biggest problems with geometry like you have is that some of the cross-sections are either too close together or right on top of each other.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back